Got this recipe from my FAVORITE cookbook! House Specialties by local author Deanna House!
I’ve kind of tweaked it to how my family likes it.
You can cook it in the oven if you don’t have a crock pot.
And…you don’t have to only make it after church. You can make it any day of the week!
1 and 1/2 pound lean beef cubes (1 and 1/2-inch cubes from chuck or round)
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
2 stalks celery, cut in diagonal pieces (we skip this)
4 medium carrots, pared and quartered (we use mini carrots or carrot disks)
2 medium onions, cut in 1/4 inch slices (we only use 1/2)
1 (10 and 3/4-ounce) can condensed tomato soup
1/2 soup can water (we use a whole can)
3 medium potatoes (we use cubed frozen hashbrowns)
- Place beef (no need to brown it) in 3-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and basil leaves.
- Top meat with celery, carrots and onions.
- In small bowl, combine soup and water.
- Pour soup mixture over meat and vegetables, coating all pieces. Cover tightly.
- Bake in preheated 300 degree oven 3 hours. (or on low in crock-pot 5-6 hours)
- Add potatoes and bake 45 minutes longer.
My son and daughter and parents about to enjoy requested After Church Stew!